Saturday 25 May 2013

Healthy Diet

Helllllloooo guys . . . How are you doing?! I hope you guys are enjoying your weekends. I personally am having a lovely weekends so far! The weather is gorgeous! It's neither sunny, nor raining. It is perfect to me! (Since I'm a fan of cloudy weather) :D

Anyways, I'm supposed to study for my midterm which is on tuesday next week. But I went for grocery shopping instead :D Which is not a bad idea, considering that I also have to cook. And guess what, I love cooking now!!! Well, since I love to eat, why not love cooking? :D


Soooo, what did I buy?!



I bought some walnuts, bananas, strawberries, broccoli, and milk! Healthy stuff, eh?! Well, I am trying to be a healthy-freak:D

I'm taking Introduction to Nutrition class (as part of my electives) where I learned a lot about healthy diets. So, I try to put some theory into practise!








According to Canada's Food Guide, female age 19-50 should have vegetables and fruits around 7-8 per servings. The kinds of vegetables and fruits should be consumed are varied. We should have at least one dark green and one orange vegetable each day. It is better to consumed with little or no added fat, sugar or salt. It is also recommended to have vegetables and fruits more often than juice.



The choices are:
  • Dark green vegetables: broccoli, romaine lettuce and spinach.
  • Orange vegetables: carrots, sweet potatoes and winter squash.
It also says that we should have at least half of our grain products whole grain each day. The choices are:
  • Whole grains: barley, brown rice, oats, quinoa, and wild rice.
  • Whole grains bread, oatmeal or whole wheat pasta.
Unfortunately, white rice isn't recommended guys. Of course, if you come from Asia, it'll be hard to give up "white rice" (I love white rice!) :(

It is recommended that we also drink skim milk (1 or 2 %) daily, 2 cups per serving for adequate intake of vitamin D. Also, drink fortified soy beverages for some of you who have lactose intolerance. Yogurt, cheese, kefir are also recommended.

For milk and alternatives, the choices are:
  • Fish: char, herring, mackerel, salmon, sardines and trout.
  • Nuts: beans, peanut, shelled nuts and seeds 

And of course, don't forget to drink water and exercise!

It's been hard to keep up with healthy life-style if you're in school and have a part-time job like I do. But of course, we have to try our best. 


I also think that it is very important to eat healthy because it is our responsibility as human being to take care of our body. This is also another way of showing our gratitude toward our Lord, ALLAH azza wajalla.

Anyway, wish me luck guys, with keeping up a healthy life-style and midterm, of course! Duh! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment