Friday 5 October 2012

Allah's blessing

I remember learning English when I was in grade 3, but it was just some basics. We did learn English alphabet, but not in depth. Then our English teacher had to give birth, so she had to take a year off or something. So that was it!

When I was in Junior High, I was asked to do "skotjam" in front of the class because I couldn't pronounce English alphabet. A, B, C, D, E, F, G was fine, but the rest I had absolutely no idea. I tried to sing the alphabet song in my head, but still I didn't work for me.

Ever since, every time there's an English class, I was so scared to death. I was very nervous, especially with that teacher who had asked me to do "skotjam". I was traumatized by him =.=
Also if there was time for us to go to English Lab, I would be sweating. Because for me that was the most difficult part, speaking in English! Can you imagine?
I have to admit, the teacher was little bit mean. I remember there was a girl who couldn't pronounce the word "fine" and pronounce it "fan" instead. The teacher made fun of her.
Can you imagine how would you have felt if you were that girl???
I know that I'm in no position to judge that teacher, he must have had his reasons for doing so. But I just don't think teachers are allowed to do that. I still think that teachers are there to help students to learn, not making fun of them.

Okay back to my story.

In Senior High, I still had the same problem unfortunately. Every time there was an English class, just by the sound of the teacher's foot steps, I would be terrified.
If you're wondering what had I done to conquer my fear, yes I've done something!
I took English course outside, unfortunately it didn't last very long because I was in "unggul" class at the time which required us to be at school from morning to evening. We had weekends off, but that's it.
So I had to quit from that English course which was pretty sad :(
Learning English in class just wasn't enough and my parents didn't have that much money to hire a private English teacher for me.

So what happened then?

Many people have tried to win many competitions or applied to many scholarships so that they can study abroad.
For me it's really is ALLAH's blessing that I can come here at all.


In my prayer, I always ask ALLAH so that I could speak English one day.
Who would have thought that Calgary, Canada is the place for me to learn English?


In second semester of grade 11,  my family and I moved to Calgary, Canada. Can you imagine that?
Moving to an English speaking country with no advanced English ability whatsoever?
ALLAH is no doubt The Al-Mighty. Alhamdulillah, praised due to ALLAH.

So I started learning as an ESL (English as a Second Language) student in Canada. I started off from level 2. Then continued to reading-15 (which was later taken off as part of the program), then level 3 and 4.
(It used to be level 2, reading 15 then level 3, reading 25 then level 4)
Each level lasts for one semester. It was a long journey for me to learn English and I'm still not done yet. I still want to learn English more and more! And as you can see, my grammars are all over the place, but the difference is that, now you can actually say I'm not scared of English anymore! :D lol






No comments:

Post a Comment