Sunday 4 November 2012

Is there such thing as a stupid question?

I remembered when I was in Senior High School in Aceh, there was this girl who I thought was "special". Why do I call her that? Well, she's just different!
She's different from the rest of the kids, who mostly are "the followers". The followers would follow what others do even the actions conflict with their own ideas. But she was not!

One day, in Biology class, she happened to ask a question that was so obvious! The question and the answer was on the book! And because of her question, everyone laughed! Even the teacher's response wasn't very nice.
Personally, I thought she was brave enough to ask that question, even though the answer was obvious.
Most of the kids would wait until they've done research before asking a question. Because nobody wants to be laughed at for asking what so called a "stupid question".

That actually makes me wonder, is there such thing as a stupid question?

I had a conversation with my coworker last night and I happened to ask the most random question to her. I was curious so I asked. And she thought my question was actually "stupid". And I told her that there's no such thing as a stupid question, but I didn't tell her why. And that makes me think more!

Why there's no such thing as a "stupid question"?

I've been thinking about it. I also remember the special girl I mentioned earlier who makes me realized there's no such thing as stupid questions, there's only the kind of people that think the questions are stupid.

You see the difference?

I personally don't think her question was stupid. I thought she was brave enough, to ask the most obvious question, eventhough the class didn't think so!

And there are so many reasons why people ask questions. It could be because they really don't know and want to know. It could be because, they already know but they don't want to look so smart, so they ask questions. It could be because they just want to overcome their fears of asking questions. It could be because they want to show off what kind of questions they have. Or It could be because they just want to make friends (especially questions like, "what's your name?, where do you live? etc).

I personally recommend people to ask questions and stop worrying what others would think.
It doesn't matter if people would tell us that our questions are stupid.
The problem is not with our questions, but it is really with their opinion!

So, start asking questions guys! Especially in class!

***I guess there are times when we have to be careful with our questions! Cuz we don't want to offend anybody by our questions. What do I mean by that?
Well, we don't want to ask personal questions when people already say that she/he doesn't want to talk about it. I guess respect and understanding is still the key :)



No comments:

Post a Comment