Friday 2 November 2012

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Have you ever been asked this question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?".
To be honest, I don't really remember if somebody had bothered to ask me this question.
Well, I figure since this is a very crucial topic, why don't we talk about it more :D
***And I think we should ask this question to our little sisters or brothers. Not to pressure them or anything, but just to make them think for themselves.

I used to be a girl who don't know what she wants to be when she grows up. Many kids would probably say doctor, teacher, or president, if they are asked what they want to be when they grow up.
I was a pretty lost kid. Hehe.
My mom is a teacher. She used to bring me to her school because we didn't have that much money to hire a nanny. So I guess, my mom would take all of us to wherever she would go.
So back to my story.
In grade 6, I remembered mom took me to her school one day and asked me to stay in class to watch over the kids because she had to go somewhere. So I did.
After a while I got really bored just watching them doing their assignments. So I was thinking if I could do something fun. I began teaching!
I started asking them simple math questions. My mom taught grade 2 at the time, so the math wasn't that hard. Lol :D
I actually enjoyed it very much. I love teaching! I love interacting with the kids and most importantly having fun with them. But it didn't occur to me at the time that I wanted to be a teacher. I just thought that, to be a teacher, was actually fun! :D

When I was in High School in Banda Aceh, I thought I wanted to be a chemical engineering since I loved chemistry and I was actually very good at it.
In second semester of grade 11, I moved to Canada. I actually had to go back to grade 10. At the time, I was actually very angry and frustrated. But to think back, it wasn't bad at all. I actually had more time to figure out what I wanted to do when I graduate from High School (Once again, Alhamdulillah, praise due to ALLAH).

So, the experience began! :D
I joined many different clubs, but ended up leaving all of them! I didn't realized that my problem was that I wanted to become good at everything, which was impossible of course. But it actually taught me something. I learned more about myself. Experience is the best teacher after all! :D
So what happened next?
I finally joined newspaper club and I stayed! Isn't that awesome?! :D *I finally stayed in one club!!!
I finally realized that I love writing! I wish I could be good at it. I wish to write short stories, poetry, and even novels one day! :D
But of course, I need to be patient. I still have a long way to go!

And guess what?! Along the way, I found out what I want to be when I grow up.
In grade 12, I took a psychology class! And I LOVED IT!!! The teacher was awesome! And there were many things happened as well which made me decided to choose this major in University.

Now I decided that I want to become a Psychologist! I still love teaching and writing! But I want them to be part of Psychology. And recently, I also found out that I love reading too! And not to mention, cooking (I used to really hate cooking!! HAHA :D)


I guess what I could say is, it is perfectly fine if we still don't know what we want to be. I was pretty lucky that I found out before I graduated High School. And thanks to ALLAH that He made me move to Canada. I was pretty lonely and because of this loneliness, I had time to explore! I had time to try out many different things and get to know more about myself.
One thing I would suggest, if you still don't know what you want to be, try out many different things! That way you're open to many different options! And I'm pretty sure that you'll find one that sticks to you. I believe that each one of us are born with something! (It's called natural skill in Psychology term :D). It is up to us to find what that something is :)

Aaaaand, before I end my story today, I wanna tell you that there are two places that I really wanna go. But I won't tell you what they are, I want you to guess! LOL. Here's my picture with two places that I really want to visit! :D
***I got this map from Mexican Festival that I went to with the girls! Free maps! Why not?! :D








2 comments: